A 23-year-old woman and an employee of Shoprite in Akure, the Ondo State capital, Jumoke Kehinde, have reportedly committed suicide after being suspended from work. She was found dead on New Year’s Eve at her apartment along Oda Road in the Kajola area of Akure. She was said to have allegedly ingested a substance suspected to be Sniper, a pesticide.
One of the organisation’s managers, who gave his name as Taiwo, told journalists that;
“It is expected that anyone who comes late has to wait outside before being allowed in and suspended.
She was seen arranging her table, getting ready for the day’s sales, and looking happy. But she later left the mall around 11 am after receiving her suspension letter.
“Around 4 pm, a distress call was received in the office that she was not feeling okay. One of the management staff members went to check on her. Kehinde was found on the floor of her room shaking while the smell of the poison she took could be perceived. But no empty can was seen anywhere, and she was rushed to the hospital.
“After some time at the hospital, she was declared dead. One of her relatives said she did not show any sign of depression.
“She was suspended for coming late that day. She was told to go home. Then, she went back home.
“We all know that when you come late, you will be suspended for a few days without pay.”
It is sad news to us all.